Saturday, April 18, 2009

Small World

You are in an airport in a city far from home when you begin a casual conversation with a total stranger and you find out that her home in Birmingham was built by your uncle. You say, "Small world, isn't it?"

I am linked by my cell phone to satellites. My phone can twitter, tweet and find my way home. I am instantly connected to the world via the internet or tv. I can see wars, riots, rocket launches, assassinations, coups and conquests in real time (as opposed to "not-real" time? When is time not real? .... I digress.) The world grows smaller every day. I watch starving children in Africa, wars in Afghanistan, poverty in Bolivia, child labor in China. I know too much and can do too little.

I don't think the human psyche is made for it. I think we were made for smallish towns. Villages, maybe. Three or four churches, a tavern, a grocer or two, a barber. Places that you can walk to, people who recognize you, boundaries that are marked by rivers and roads and tradition.

Wendell Barry wrote a lyrical book about a small Kentucky town and its bachelor barber, the character for whom the book is named. Jayber Crow gives his car to his girlfriend and never owns another. His world which encompasses Port William and the surrounding county and even Louisville suddenly becomes much bigger. That which can only be reached by walking or hitching a ride suddenly becomes expansive, huge.

I used to feel a smuggish sort of disdain for people who had only lived in one town their whole lives. Being the child of a military father and having lived most of my married life as a Navy wife, I treasure the experiences gained from living in almost every region in our country. I used to think that those "less fortunate" people had very small worlds to contend with. Now, I think maybe it's the other way round.

My world seems much too small.

1 comment:

Spasticlizard said...

I'm beginning to realize this too Sis. I hang on to Woodland Park memories because it's the only place I feel like I belonged through growing up. Now I realize I've lived in Atlanta longer than any place in my life. Almost 20 years now. It's sad that I don't feel a true connection with any place and that's because I lived too many places, I think. I often wish we had grown up in one town and lived in the the same house we all grew up in. It sounds so cool. That's why Scott and I have lived in one house all our kids' lives and let them go to one school all their life. They have roots and true, solid connections with where they grew up and the people they grew up around that I never had. Even if they leave home the day they graduate high school, they'll always be able to draw back on memories of growing up in one house and one town. That makes me feel like I am at least changing how they might raise their kids ... with family and roots. Hopefully anyway.