Thursday, July 22, 2010

Diary of a Painting (continued)

day four



On day three I had about 20 minutes to doodle on the painting. I actually ran down to the studio to grab something and, without even turning the lights or a/c on, I grabbed a brush and "fixed" the too short legs.


Day four I spent about two hours working on correcting the legs and beginning some shading. I'm using sables and trying to blend all the brushstrokes.  I am using Liquin for my medium.  It makes the paint buttery but dries in a few hours.  It actually gets tacky in minutes and enables me to start building layers almost immediately.  I decide to not do the underpainting in monochrome.  I begin to block in some local color while pushing back the darks.  Man it's a lot of canvas to cover. I'm finally beginning to feel like I have enough established that I can come in for shorter blocks of time and not get frustrated.  I don't HAVE many large blocks of time to work in so it's quite a relief to be at this stage.  I also have to be content that it's going to take me a long time.  This is a big painting.


day four detail



No comments: