Friday, July 23, 2010

Diary of a Painting (continued.2)

Day Five detail


I'm trying for an Old Masters effect.  This under painting will have almost no texture or evidence of brush strokes. Almost a grissaile (an underpainting completely executed in monochrome, usually grey), I'm using a warm monochrome that ranges from a deep red-black to a light light brick-red.  

I was pretty happy with today's work.  I worked on the profile and some of the shading on the face, blocked in the hair and a lot of the background.  I worked for almost three hours.  This is slow going but really satisfying.  

I'm using raw sienna, english red, van dyke brown and indigo and a lot of Liquin medium. If you  enlarge the photo a left you will see what a great range of value and intensity I'm getting.    

No comments: